9.16.2008

I hate political games.  

As I have previously written, I am currently in the process of obtaining a license through the state of California to operate a childcare facility in our home.  This process basically includes: attending an orientation to the licensing process and CA Title 22 requirements, submitting an application, getting fingerprinted, passing a T.B. test, attending a CPR/First Aid class, and finally, having a home inspection by a representative of the licensing department.  I have completed every step in the process and I am now ready for the final step - the home inspection.  Sounds pretty straightforward, right?  One would think so, until one remembers this is a government agency and, even worse, a government agency whose budget has been recently cut.

So this morning I called the local social services office and spoke with my "analyst," Kelly, in the hopes of scheduling the home inspection with her.  When she picked up I stated the reason for my call and after a long pause she said, "Yeah... did you apply recently?"  To which I responded, "I'm not sure what your definition of 'recent' is, but I applied at the beginning of August, so it was over a month and a half ago."  Then after another long pause, she replied, "I have been instructed by my supervisor not to schedule any inspections with new applicants.  If you have a problem with this I'd suggest you phone your state representative."  I laughed when she said this which I think confused her, but that is such a ridiculous statement to me!  

Clearly they are trying to get me to be a player on their team in this silly little political game.  They are not stupid.  They know that A) the government is elected by the people, for the people, B) if they want more money for their department they must make the budget cuts have a direct negative effect on "the people," and C) if they can rile up enough of "the people," "the people" will go to the government and make demands on behalf of the department and then they win by getting the money they want.  Maybe she was hoping that I was stupid enough to fall for this ploy?  But why would I join their team when they are punishing me because they were punished for mis-allocating my tax dollars?  

Perhaps I'm wrong about all of this, but it just seems like nonsense to me.  I'm seriously considering being an unlicensed childcare provider, which sounds kind of horrible, but since when do you need a license to take care of kids?  Besides, perhaps these budget cuts won't allow them to find unlicensed childcare providers since it won't allow them to license childcare providers.  (Did I mention that I already paid them $85 to obtain a license?)  I really don't feel like playing.  

P.S. Analyst Kelly just called a few minutes ago.  I think she was a little unnerved by my response (or lack thereof).  She told me to call back in a couple weeks and said that maybe then I would be at the top of her list.  She also asked me to not give anyone her name if I did complain.  This makes me feel a little bit better, like I have some control over the situation.  She called me and she seems worried that I might get her in trouble.  But still, I just don't want to play.
     

No comments: